Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Consistency == it's key

From a random FaceBook post I read:

"We often would rather be Looking for something than Doing something. Looking keeps us busy, but delivers no results. By doing and doing consistently we have the power to change. So if you think you need to be looking for something else, because "this clean eating & exercising is not enough", then try bucking this natural human tendency by not looking for something else... instead just DO it."



I am guilty of this. I do keep looking for something to explain thing...to tell me why I am not losing weight at a faster pace.I keep thinking that there has to be a reason, something that is holding me back. Am I eating something that is causing problems? Maybe but that is why I am going through the reintroduction process from the elimination diet. So, far yogurt and eggs continue to bother me.

Am I working out the right way? Am I not working out hard enough? Am I working out too hard? How do I know? I found myself talking to trainers about testing that they can do at the gym. As I was talking to them, I was struck by the thought that here I was looking for a solution when I wasn't even sure if there was a problem.

So, the best question that I asked myself this past week, shortly before I saw this FaceBook post, is WHAT AM I STRESSING OUT ABOUT IT? How do I know what I am doing isn't working? I mean, I feel good. I work out hard. I definitely have lost weight over the past 15 months. My nutritionist, who I also asked about different testing, asked me some important questions too -- what I was trying to accomplish with the testing, what my goals were, what problems was I trying to solve?

I am going to stop looking for ways to solve problems until I know there is a problem. One of the things I am going to do is make friends with the scale. I have been doing the 90 day challenge at the gym and love trying different activities at the gym. I have not been looking at the scale though. I turn around when they weigh me in. I avoid looking at my progress. Well, I know it is not healthy to be that upset by a number. I have progressed so far regarding my body image, my view towards food, and pushing myself in the gym. BUT the scale is something that I just haven't dealt with very well. It is time to change that. I am going to weigh in once a week and not let it get to me. I am going to use it as a tool to track my progress.

If I don't see progress, well, then I will consider some more intense testing. I am going to do a couple of tests because I find them interesting but I am not going to do the over the top expensive stuff until I know if I am actually struggling., until I have proof of lack of progress.

In the meantime, I will stay consistent in my lifestyle changes. I will keep true to my food plan. I will do my workouts as I have been doing. I will relax about things.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Lynn! Totally agree about consistency. I think the consistency needed is for longer than people think. Whatever ends up a person's norm is the end result. What this means is that it is a lifestyle issue with no ending.<<As soon as a person concretely grasps that aspect, it gets very much easier.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete