Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

It was only 20 seconds....so what's the big deal?

This past weekend was the Step Up for Cancer at the local soccer stadium. I did this event last year as well. It is basically 1,765 steps or so up and down all around the stadium and raises money for various cancer organizations. 

Last year we did this event shortly after doing the Mile High stair climb and in the middle of my half marathon training. I felt like my cardio conditioning was much better last year than it was this year when I committed to the event.

This year I have struggled with injuries after the fall at Red Rocks and more recently the sprained ankle. Having been cleared from physical therapy and no longer needing to wear the brace, I was excited to do the event this weekend. I knew however that I had to take it easy so that my ankle would be okay. I certainly did not want to hurt it again or prolong the injury. 

So, I knew I would just take it slow and so I did. It was hot but not as hot as last year. It was loud. There were lots of inspiring people. I just started to do the steps. I knew I could have done it faster, especially the down portions, but I just wanted to keep to my plan so that I would come through the event without issue. I would like to say that I didn't care what my time would be but it would be a lie.

In the second half of the stadium, I knew I could push it a little more so I jogged on some of the flat areas but I still took care on the steps.

In the end, my time was 20 seconds FASTER than last year. With the care I took with the steps, I was quite pleased with that. I am still slow but I was faster than last year. I am learning to compare my current to my past and not to others. 

So to me, 20 seconds is a big deal. An even bigger deal is that I was more concerned how I did compared to how I did last year and not to how others did. The biggest deal is that I was able to do this walk in support and love for my one and only sister, who I hope will stay strong as she goes through the medical procedures that she has to go through. Cancer certainly does suck.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is a big deal that you went and attended the event even though you had just recovered from your injuries :) I hope your sister stays strong and gets well soon...

    ReplyDelete